17 September 2014

Giraffe V1247


I've never been one for novelty prints. I think they are cute to look at, but would never wear them. I don't know if this is considered full blown novelty as it's pretty subtle but....GIRAFFES! I squealed with glee when I saw this fabric, my heart beat faster and my smile grew bigger. I was so happy at the look of it, then I reached out to touch it and it is a stretch denim! I knew it was meant to be.

I had this pattern in my stash from when it was first released, had it cut and ready, but it wasn't until I saw it on other bloggers that I knew I needed this skirt in my life.


Just by looking at the pattern pieces I knew this would be a mini mini no bending over skirt. And that says a lot because I'm a short person with super short legs. So I decided to lengthen the bottom pattern piece by 3". I also knew that I would be wearing this skirt high-waisted so the length was necessary to keep it wearable for me. I like to keep things modest because there is little I hate more than having to tug at my hemline all day in an attempt to keep everything covered up.


The kangaroo pouch front pockets are the cutest feature. I couldn't resist their charm. And the construction of this skirt is really great. The pattern is really easy to follow, but I did opt to simply serge all my seams instead of going through the hassle of bias binding everything. But, after completing my skirt, I can see why bias binding would make the insides so beautiful. The waist band is beautifully enclosed and I stitched in the ditch to make it that way. 


The only hand sewing I did (Bleh - I hate hand stitching) was to attach the skirt closure at the back. I didn't want to see the stitches on the outside. Next version I make I'll add the skirt clasp on prior to attaching the waist band so it will look neater and I'll feel it's more secure than my sketchy hand sewing.


I really love this skirt. I was worried I would look 6 months pregnant, but I feel it hugs where it needs to and is roomy where I need it to be. Excellent features in a skirt for me!

Here's to a happy moment when fabric and pattern join and are successful.

Details:

Pattern: Vogue 1247 a Rachel Comey top and skirt pattern
Size: 16
Fabric: Giraffe Stretch Denim
Alterations:
  • Lengthen the skirt by 3 inches.

1 comment: