16 December 2013

Review: Burda Style January 2014

The thing about me is that I love winter. Not the numbing cold mind you, but the chance to wear so many layers and anything fleece lined. I actually prefer when the weather drops enough for me to comfortably wear leggings under my dresses rather than summer bare legs. I just love the cozy feeling that thicker clothing and layers provide. Wools, Knits, and a cup of hot chocolate and I'm a happy girl.

So for me, the January Burda Style magazine, with its winter appropriate patterns is one I look forward to. Although this January issue doesn't have too many extreme-warmth looking items, I do think this issue is a winner. But sadly they did include a fur section and once again are trying to pass off a rectangular cut piece of fabric as a pattern. Sorry, that isn't a pattern in my books! And they also included a costume section. YES, the patterns are incredibly adorable and I appreciate the inclusion, BUT not in the January issue; Halloween JUST past, this should be in the August/September issue leading UP to Halloween, not 2 months past it. Bad timing is all.

But lets take a gander at the selection shall we?

Lets start with the GREAT

Minus the applique on the bottom hem I really really really like this dress. Add sleeves and its PERFECT. Nor a winter dress for certain but a dress design that I love. I LOVE turtle necks. FYI.

LOVE this draped tulip shape skirt. I've been waiting for something like this to come up! Can't wait to make it! But that corset...never going to happen. I don't do strapless or corsets. 

I adore these types of pants. I've never personally sewn pants. But I think that if I was going to start than these would be at the top of my list. With a larger waist band. And blending into the fine category is the shirt. Nice gathering. That's about it. I guess I just don't find shirts all that interesting. I don't tend to gravitate towards them to frequently.

I love the included edging on the dress. It is a simple shape, but just adding the extra details make it so much more intriguing to me. I'm not a pattern drafter and don't understand much about it yet, so having patterns pre-made to my liking allows me to sew more easily. Less struggling means more time to sew and be jolly.

I think I like this dress MORE because of the skirt fabric they used. I LOVE all the raised flowers on the fabric. I can't wait to get my hands on some! So this, this pattern is a lovely choice. Nothing we haven't seen before though.


Now we shall move onto the FINE category:

Pretty neat shape and I adore the quilting on the sleeves. But as usual it is very nice of Burda to do it in WHITE and have her crossing her arms? Really? Yes, we don't need to see the details. Don't worry.

This issue has some really pretty plus sized patterns. Forget the baggy shapeless blogs they've been passing off as patterns, This issue's plus sized patterns are all winners; form-fitting, or nice details. I like both the shape of this dress and the colour-blocking paneling. But without a waist seam, I do see the potential for bunching if the fit isn't right between the waist and hip.

The next plus sized pattern is a basic V-neck dress with thick waistband. It is a simple design, but one that can be very flatting. And great for pattern jerseys. Omit that side zipper. it is unnecessary.

And the OK-for-a-Basic Patterns:

Just because it is in a new pattern doesn't make it a new dress. I feel like this shapeless pocketed sheath dress is in every issue now. I won't be making it but it isn't terrible.
Now, as simple as this may be, Made up in that fuzzy looking material gives this simple shape more potential within my wardrobe. Put a belt around it and it could be a go to winter staple for me. Fuzzzzzzzy.


All-in-all I think that Burda is starting the year out right. Yes, I hate the fur section, and I think the Costumes are in the wrong month, but the three other sections are worth it. They have patterns that have risen straight to the top of my to-sew list which is endless. But with Christmas fabric presents heading my way, I couldn't be more excited for this issue to arrive in my mailbox. 

Also, the magazines includes a male shirt and jacket. But I'm a selfish sewing so they are useless to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment