14 October 2013

Gertie's Tie Front Blouse



The instant I bought this book I knew this is the pattern I needed immediately. It also taught me plenty of new skills which is great!

This tie front blouse is beautiful and I decided to sew it up in a ponte de roma knit in white with grey dots. I LOVE this knit fabric. It feels beautiful, sews beautiful, and is VERY forgiving with my fit. (This shirt didn't require any fitting really).


I sewed the size 16 - again, I should of selected the size 12 for my bust and graded out for a 16 at the hips. But you sew and you learn right?

So what did this skirt teach me? It taught me:

Bound Button Holes

Collar Attachment

Collar slit for the Tie

Shirt Facings.

Hook & Eye Attachment



SO many new skills! And SUCH a great learning project. Gertie's book makes it exceptionally easy for a new sewer to improve their skills and tackle an item that is above your skill set. Her photo tutorials are simple to follow.

But like I said, I should of sewed a smaller version as the shirt is very loose around the bust and arm scythes. I'm thinking I'll go back and take off an inch. I hope not to lose any of the shape of the shirt by doing this.

Pattern: Front Tie Blouse from Gertie's New Book for Better Sewing
Size: 16
Fabric: Ponte de Roma spotted grey &white fabric
Cost: $5/metre
Alterations: Added a hook&eye to the back collar and bottom back hem.

No comments:

Post a Comment