04 November 2013

Blue Chevron Vogue 8789


I am a sewer who falls in love with a fabric and then finds a pattern to make it into. I find a fabric and think Circle Skirt or T-Shirt. Fabric ALWAYS comes first. It just inspires me to sew beautiful things out of it.

When I found this fabric I thought: It's ME. It is a mesh fabric with a risen cotton chevron pattern in navy blue. So.Many.Things.To.Love! Its a see-through fabric. I love the drama this adds to a piece. The chevron adds detail and pattern lines to the dress. The risen cotton chevron, so fun to touch! LOVE. IT.


This fabric was meant to be a circle skirt. A lovely full circle skirt to be precise. I had the image in my head of spinning around in it and watch it float. And float it does. Gosh these photos were fun to take!

Vintage Vogue 8789 is the first pattern I ever purchased. I adored the vintage shape of the dress. It is just so elegant. The wide shoulders that create the illusion of a sleeve. The double bodice darts. I just knew that this pattern would showcase the fabric to its fullest.



I added bias tape to the neckline, arm bands, and hemline. I wanted to add emphasis to the shape of the dress while helping to limit the fabrics stretch and fray. This dress WILL last. The bias tape on the hem also helped to stiffen the hem and give it more bounce and hold a wider circle shape since the fabric is so lightweight.

I sewed it without the zipper along the side as I knew the fabric wouldn't hold it well. Since I am more square shaped and my waist isn't too much small than my under bust, it is easy for me to remove zippers in patterns. Even while using a non-stretch fabric such as this one. I added fusible hem tape to all inner seams to stabilize and strengthen them. It also helps reduce fraying which the fabric is extremely prone to.



Pattern: Vogue 8789 view B
Size: 12 shoulders graded to 14 Waist
Fabric: Mixed Fiber Risen Chevron Mesh
Cost: $2.5 * 2 M = $5 from Fabricland
Alterations:

  • Self drafted a circle skirt
  • Removed the zipper 
  • Removed the buttons from the shoulders and sewed at 1" seam instead.
  • Removed back bodice waist darts
  • Added front bodice top darts to reduce gaping through neckline.
  • Used bias tape to finish neckline, arms, and hem
  • Finished all inner seams with fusible hem tape to strengthen and limit fraying.
  • Didn't make a cummberbund

No comments:

Post a Comment